General Maintenance I (Semi-skilled)
Reports To: Director of Facilities
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
TGS Status: Staff, Full-time, Benefits, Monday-Friday, hours vary.
Perform a wide variety of facility, infrastructure, and utility system maintenance, repair and renovation tasks at the semi-skilled level. A flexible work schedule with some overtime is required.
This position reports to the Director of Facilities and works closely with campus faculty, staff and vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Must be able to successfully perform the following essential duties and other duties as may be assigned.
- Perform preventative and deferred maintenance on HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems as well as facilities and equipment
- Inspect and test systems, machinery and equipment. Repair and maintain as necessary
- Identify supplies, equipment, machinery, etc required to perform the job.
- Operate a variety of shop machinery and equipment, and lawn maintenance equipment (mowers, trimmers, saws, power saws and other)
- Must be able to work both alone and in a team atmosphere.
- Typical “other” duties include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in preparations for special events
- Assisting in traffic and parking control
- Assisting in school safety programs and expected to become knowledgeable about the School’s Emergency Management Plan
- Periodically perform maintenance on-call duty, carry the maintenance after-hours cell phone, and respond to after-hours problems
- Accountability for time and expenses
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Three or more years’ relatable experience performing the duties described above.
- Experience in electrical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, masonry, and HVAC
- Plant operations or general building trades with experience and skills in two or more of the following trades and crafts a plus
- Must be a self-starter and able to perform work at the semi-skilled level with some supervision and must possess good communication and client-service skills
- Must be knowledgeable of and follow safety rules, regulations and policies
- A high school diploma is required. Additional education a plus
- Certification(s) in First Aid, CPR, or as an Emergency Medical Technician is a plus
Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand English. Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- A current Arizona driver’s license is required.
- A background check, including fingerprinting, is required and must be successfully completed before employment can be offered or started
The physical demands are those needed to successfully fulfill the job duties and responsibilities indicated above
- Must be able to stoop, bend at the waist and reach. Must be able to lift and move up to 75 pounds
- Able to work from ladders and occasionally, scaffolding
- As prescribed by law and to the extent possible, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions